William Whiting 1881-1939
Parents: John Whiting and Emily Binks (1)
Born: 1881 in Little Wratting. (1)
Baptised: 21st February 1882 at St Mary's Church, Little Wratting.(2)
Died: 5th October 1939 in Newmarket Institution. Buried on 7th October 1939 at St Mary's Church, Little Wratting.(3,4)
Bio: William was the youngest son of John and Emily Whiting. Born in 1881, he didn't quite make it onto the 1881 census. He first features on the 1891 census as a scholar living in Little Wratting with his parents and siblings Susan, George, Albert and Ellen.
William stayed at home and he appears there on the 1901 census where he is working as an agricultural labourer. Again, on the 1911 census he is at home working as a labourer. At this point he is living with his widowed father, his 'feeble-minded' sister Susan and his elder sister Christiana, who is housekeeper.
What happened to William after this point is unclear, but the burial registers for St Mary's Church, Little Wratting, reveal he died at the Newmarket Institution on 5th October 1939.(3,4) The 1939 Register reveals he was at White Lodge, Newmarket, where his occupation is given as 'incapacitated' and he is listed as single(6). From 1837-1930 this had been known as the Newmarket Workhouse before becoming the Newmarket Institution from 1930-1939, and then the White Lodge Hospital.(5)
(1) Birth Index. 2nd Quarter 1881, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 538
(2) Suffolk Baptism Index, SFHS, Clare Deanery 1812-1900
(3) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1939, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 1992
(4) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, burial register for St Mary's, Little Wratting, 1813-2000, FL502/4/8
(6) 1939 Register, RG101/6662I/006/15 Letter Code: TYEM, Findmypast.co.uk