William Whiting 1865-1944
Parents: Daniel Whiting and Susannah Kiddy (2)
Born: 15th October 1865 in Burton End, Haverhill.(1,2)
Baptised: 19th November 1865 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(2)
Married: Elizabeth Davy, 24, spinster of 45 Burton End, daughter of John Davy, maltster, on 10th October 1888 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by William Basham and Daniel Whiting.(3,4)
Children: Emily Lily Whiting b.1891 died aged 2, Alice Whiting b.1893, Ernest William Whiting b.1896 died aged 10 months, Nellie Whiting b.1897, Ivy Whiting b.1902 died aged 13, John William Whiting b.1904 and Elsie May Whiting b.1908
Died: December 1944 in Haverhill. Buried on 20th December 1944 at Haverhill Cemetery.(5,6)
Bio: On the 1871 census William is a scholar living in Burton End with his family. Where he is on the 1881 census is a mystery - his parents are still in Burton End, with children Daniel and Sophia, but William is absent. We do know that at the time of his marriage to Elizabeth Davy in 1888 he was living at 47 Burton End. Although living in Haverhill, Elizabeth had been born in Hadleigh, Suffolk. They had a stillborn child who was buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 15th June 1889.(9) The couple were still living at 47 Burton End at this time.
The 1891 census sees them living at 25 Burton End, in a street packed full of Whitings. William is a general labourer and Elizabeth a coat maker. They have no children. They had another child, Emily Lily, just after the census in 1891 but she was to die at the age of 2 and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 1st July 1893.(9) The couple are still at 25 Burton End at this point. On the 1901 census the family are residing at 57 Burton End. William is working as a horseman on a farm and Elizabeth is at home. They have two daughters, Alice and Nellie.
At the time of the 1911 census, the family can be found at the same address. William is still a horseman, but Elizabeth is working again as a clothing machinist.
They have three more children, Ivy, John and Elsie. The census shows that there were also three children that died. Sadly, daughter Ivy would also die aged only 13 and was buried at the cemetery on 4th March 1915.(10)
Elizabeth died in 1934, and was buried at the local cemetery.(7,8) William appears on the 1939 Register living at 101 Burton End, Haverhill, with his daughter Elsie May and his grandson Dennis.(11) William died in 1944, and was also buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 20th December.
(1) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1865, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 373
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p13 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1888, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 1043
(4) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p28 of 37
(5) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1944, Newmarket District, Volume 4a Page 941
(6) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 5677. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(7) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1934, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 976
(8) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 4953. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(9) SFHS, Suffolk Burial Index, issue 2, 1538-1900
(10) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 3815. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(11) 1939 Register, Ref: RG101/6661C/013/38 Letter Code: TYDO, www.findmypast.co.uk