Susannah Turner 1839-1897
Parents: James Turner and Hannah Poole (1,6)
Born: 21st November 1839 in Burton End, Haverhill. (1,2)
Baptised: 4th October 1840 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. (1)
Married: George Whiting, of Burton End, Haverhill, labourer, son of David Whiting, labourer, in 1862(3)
Children: David Whiting b.1864, Charles Whiting b.1867 and Sarah Whiting b.1881 died in infancy
Died: 12th February 1897 in Haverhill. Buried on 18th February 1897 at Haverhill Cemetery.(4,5)
Bio: Susannah is on the 1841 census living in Burton End, Haverhill with her parents James, a weaver, and mother Hannah. James and Hannah Poole had married in Haverhill on 30th October 1831.(6) They are still in Burton End on the 1851 census, and Susannah, who is now a scholar, is their only child. They are living nextdoor to Susannah's future husband George Whiting and his parents.
The Turners moved to Puddlebrook, Haverhill, and by the 1861 census they have also have a son, Thomas. Susannah is working as a silk weaver along with her parents.
She married George Whiting, who she'd known from childhood, in 1862. They stayed living in Burton End, which is where they are on the 1871 census. George's father David is living with them, now a widower and in his eighties. They also have two sons, David and Charles.
George went on to become publican of The Royal Standard pub in Burton End, and we find the Whitings here on the 1881 census.
By 1891 we find George and family residing again in 78 Burton End, The Royal Standard. Living with George and Susannah is their son Charles, a labourer, and son David, a carpenter, his wife Emma and their daughter Sarah. Also living with them is a lodger, Alice Whiting, 17, who was the daughter of Jesse and Ellen Whiting.
Susannah died before the next census and was was buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 18th February 1897. For a picture of her gravestone, see George Whiting.
(1) Suffolk Baptism Index, SFHS, Clare Deanery 1813-1900
(2) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1839, Risbridge District, Volume 12 Page 357
(3) Marriage Register. 1st Quarter 1862, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 433
(4) Death Register.1st Quarter 1897, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 405
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.2320. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(6) Familysearch.org, Bishops Transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Sudbury, 1830-33, Batch: M132461, Source: 0989588.