Daniel Whiting 1783-1854
Parents: Daniel Whiting and Elizabeth Hilsdon (1)
Born: 20th February 1783 in Burton End, Haverhill. (1)
Baptised: 25th February 1809 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. (1)
Married: Elizabeth Archer, spinster, of Shudy Camps on 13th April 1803 at St Mary's Church, Shudy Camps, Cambridgeshire. Witnessed by Daniel Redhouse and Lydia Halls. Banns were on 6th March 1803 at the same church. (2)
Children: Sarah Whiting b.1803, Elizabeth Whiting b.1806, Charlotte Whiting b.1808, Henry Whiting b.1810, Harriet Whiting b.1813 and Daniel Whiting b.1816
Died: 28th October 1854 of old age in Haverhill. Buried on 1st November 1854 aged 78 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(3,4)
Bio: After marrying Elizabeth Archer, Daniel must have lived in Shudy Camps until around 1810 as his first three children were born there. His son Daniel appears to have died in 1833. A Daniel Whiting, aged 17, from Burton End is listed as being buried at St Mary's on 31st May.(5) Daniel senior is present on the 1841 census as a labourer aged 60 living in Burton End with wife Elizabeth, son Henry and Henry's children Daniel and Emily Whiting. On 1851 Census he is still living in Burton End, working as an agricultural labourer and living with wife Elizabeth and grandchildren Daniel, Emily and Ann Piper, the offspring of his daughter Charlotte and John Piper.
His death certificate records his rank or profession as husbandman, and that he died of old age in Haverhill on 28th October 1854 aged 78. Amy Mead was present at his death, which was registered on 31st October 1854. She was a neighbour in Burton End, and the wife of Robert Mead. She was born Amey Matthews in Castle Camps c.1802 and married Robert there on 13th January 1819 (6).
I feel this death record almost certainly records 'our' Daniel, although the age is out by about seven years.
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/
(2) Cambridge Family History Society, Transcriptions of the Parish Registers of Shudy Camps. Banns & Marriages at St Mary's Church.
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p35 of 37
(4) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1854, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 260. GRO Death Cert PDF.
(5) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p33 of 37
(6) Castle Camps Parish Registers transcriptions1553-1950, Surname Listing, Suffolk Family History Society