Charles Whiting 1840-1885
Parents: John Whiting and Elizabeth Barber (1)
Born: 13th July 1840 in Burton End, Haverhill. (1,2)
Baptised: 30th August 1840 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill (1)
Married: Eliza Tatt, spinster of Burton End, daughter of Joseph Tatt (deceased), labourer, on 13th May 1861 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Joseph Bradford and Catherine Barber(3,4)
Children: Mary Ann Whiting b.1863, Frank Whiting b.1866 and Joseph Whiting b.1869.
Died: July 1885. Buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 13th July 1885.(5,6)
Bio: Charles was living with his parents in Burton End at the time of the 1841 census, and again in 1851 and 1861 when he was working as a labourer prior to marrying Eliza Tatt. Eliza had been born in Sturmer, Essex, but was currently living in Burton End. By the 1871 census, Charles had moved out of Burton End and was living in Queen Street with his wife and three children. They were lodging with Jacob and Priscilla Kiddy, who were Eliza's mother and stepfather. Records from the Old Independent Church, Haverhill, show that his three children were baptised there between 1866 and 1869.(7)
Ten years later in 1881, Charles and all of his family are still boarding with the Kiddys in Queen Street. Of his children, Mary Ann is working as a jacket maker, Frank as a grocers porter and Joseph is a scholar. Charles' daughter Mary Ann married Albert Ives in 1884 and on the parish register their address is listed as 23 Queen Street. Charles' occupation is given as plate layer which is a railway job - affixing train track.
Charles was to die not long after this in 1885. He was buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 13th July, 45 years to the day he was born.
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p10 of 37
(2) Birth Register. 3rd Quarter 1840, Risbridge district, Vol 12 Page 360
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p25 of 37
(4) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1861, Risbridge district, Vol 4a Page 534
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.1338. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(6) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1885, Risbridge district, Vol 4a Page 305
(7) Baptism Records, Old Independent Church, Haverhill. Thanks to Lauraine McPhee for transcriptions.