Percy Ernest Whiting 1902-1960
Parents: William Whiting and Elizabeth Binks (1)
Born: 17th July 1902 in Haverhill.(1,2)
Married: Ellen Beatrice Goodfellow in Edmonton District in 4th Quarter 1931(5)
Children: Living Relatives
Died: 19th August 1960 at 'Dairy Farm', Bradfield St Clare, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.(3,4)
Bio: Percy was the fifth son of William and Elizabeth and was born in Haverhill in 1902.(1)
He appears on the 1911 census living with his large family at the Rope Works in Camps Road, Haverhill, where his father was the head rope-maker.
Percy married Ellen Beatrice Goodfellow in the Edmonton district at the end of 1931(5). Ellen was born on 21st November 1903 in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire. She was the daughter of William Henry Goodfellow, an engineer, and Lily Bumpstead who had married on 6th August 1899 at St Andrew, Haverstock Hill, Camden(7). Ellen was baptised at St Ann, Tottenham, on 31st March 1904(6) and grew up in the Tottenham area.
Soon after their marriage it seems Percy and Ellen moved to Suffolk, where Percy would work on a dairy farm. They had three children in the 1930s in the Bury St Edmunds district.
On the 1939 Register, Percy is shown living with Ellen at 'Dairy Farm', Bradfield St Clare, Bury St Edmunds, where he is said to be assisting his brother(2). This was very likely to have been Bertram Whiting, who was also a dairy farmer living in Bury St Edmunds at this time.
Percy looks to have remained there as he died on 19th August 1960 at 'Dairy Farm', Bradfield St Clare. On 28th February 1961 probate with effects of £1940 16s 6d was granted to his widow(3).
Ellen died in 1982 in the Bury St Edmunds district(8).
(1) Birth Register. 3rd Quarter 1902, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 891
(2) 1939 Register, Ref: RG101/6677F/005/22 Letter Code: TZLD, Findmypast.co.uk
(3) England and Wales, National Probate Calendar, Ancestry.com
(4) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1960, Bury St Edmunds District, Volume 4b Page 809
(5) Marriage Register, 4th Quarter 1931, Edmonton District, Volume 3a Page 1441
(6) London Metropolitan Archives, Tottenham St Ann, Register of Baptism, DRO/036, Item 008
(7) London Metropolitan Archives, Saint Andrew, Haverstock Hill, Register of marriages, P90/AND, Item 009
(8) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1982, Bury St Edmunds District, Volume 10 Page 1991