Amelia Whiting 1850-1912

Parents: John Whiting and Elizabeth Barber (1)
Born: 1850 in Haverhill. (1,2)
Baptised: ?
Married: William Beavis, 22, batchelor, labourer, of Haverhill, son of John Beavis, labourer, on 6th November 1869 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by William ? and Emily Shaw(2,3)
Children: None
Died: July 1912. Buried on 23rd July 1912 at Haverhill Cemetery. (4,5)

Bio: Amelia was born in 1850, but I have been unable to find a baptismal record for her. On the 1851 census she is living with her parents John and Elizabeth and Her siblings Charles, Phoebe and Caroline. In 1861, the census shows 'Mealia' as still living in Burton End with her family.

In 1869, Amelia is married to William Beavis, a labourer, and on the 1871 census we seem them living together in Burton End, without children. By the next census, in 1881, the couple have relocated to Chauntry Row and Amelia's father John Whiting has moved in with them as a boarder. Although married, unusually for this time it appears that John and his wife Martha chose to live apart, and this is how we find him, Amelia and William again on the following census in 1891. They are at 3 Chauntry Row and Amelia is a 'trousers finisher' and William a brewery labourer. By the 1901 census Amelia's father has died and she is living alone with her husband at 3 Chauntry Row. She is working as a jacket tailor, and he as a brewery drayman.

Again they are at 3 Chauntry Row for the 1911 census. This time Amelia's nephew Arthur Porter, 16, son of Mary Ann and Henry Porter, is staying with them. He works as a shop assistant and was born in Portsmouth.

Amelia was to die the next year, in July 1912. She was buried at Haverhill Cemetery.


(1) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1850, Risbridge district, Vol 12 Page 423
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p27 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1869, Risbridge district, Vol 4a Page 773
(4) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.3616.
(5) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1912, Risbridge district, Vol 4a Page 729