Rosa May Whiting 1904-1950
Parents: William Whiting and Elizabeth Binks (1)
Born: 4th September 1904 in Haverhill.(1,2)
Married: Ernest William Aubrey Neville, in 4th Quarter 1928 in Bury St Edmunds district(5)
Children: Living Relatives
Died: 14th June 1950 at 32 Ely Road, Littleport, Cambridgeshire(3,4)
Bio: Rosa was the sixth child and first daughter of William and Elizabeth and was born in Haverhill on 4th September 1904.(1,2)
She appears on the 1911 census living with his large family at the Rope Works in Camps Road, Haverhill, where her father was the head rope-maker.
Rosa married Ernest William Aubrey Neville in the Bury St Edmunds district at the end of 1928(5). It is possible that she met him through some of her brothers who were living in or near Bury St Edmunds around this time. Ernest was born on 21st February 1901(8) in Feltwell, Norfolk, where he can be seen aged two months on the 1901 census(9). He was the son of Ernest Neville, a butcher who ran a shop there, and Katherine Louisa Watson who had married in 1896 in the Thetford district(7).
Soon after their marriage it seems Rosa and Ernest moved to Norfolk, where Ernest can be seen on Kelly's Directory 1933 in Feltwell, Brandon, Norfolk(6).
Rosa and Ernest had five children between 1931 and 1943.
On the 1939 Register, Rosa and Ernest are seen living at 4 Ship Lane, Ely, where Ernest is a field worker for a sugar beet factory(2).
Rosa died on 14th June 1950 at 32 Ely Road, Littleport, Cambridgeshire. On 1st August 1950 probate with effects of £320 5s 3d was granted to her widowed husband Ernest William Aubrey Neville, sugar beet factory agent(3).
Ernest died in 1978 in the Ely district(8).
(1) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1904, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 888
(2) 1939 Register, Ref: RG101/6331C/018/36, Findmypast.co.uk
(3) England and Wales, National Probate Calendar, Ancestry.com
(4) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1950, Ely District, Volume 4a Page 280
(5) Marriage Register, 4th Quarter 1928, Bury St Edmunds District, Volume 4a Page 2194
(6) Kelly's Directory, 1933, Norfolk, Ancestry.co.uk
(7) Marriage Register, 3rd Quarter 1896, Thetford District, Volume 4b Page 679
(8) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1978, Ely District, Volume 9 Page 1105
(9) 1901 Census, Class: RG13; Piece: 1899; Folio: 81; Page: 4