Daniel Whiting 1836-1881
Parents: Henry Whiting and Mary Stevens (1)
Born: 8th October 1836 in Burton End, Haverhill (1)
Baptised: 17th October 1836 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill (1)
Married: Susanna Kiddy, 20, spinster of Burton End, daughter of Thomas Kiddy, Labourer, on 12 May 1854 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by John and Harriet Claydon.(2,5)
Children: Henry Whiting b.1855, Emily b.1858 died in infancy, Emily Whiting b.1859, Elizabeth Whiting b.1863, William Whiting b.1865, Daniel Whiting b.1868, Sophia Whiting b.1871, and Alice b.1876 died in infancy.
Died: Dec 1881. Buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 3 Dec 1881.(3,4)
On the 1851 census, his father is now dead and he is living with his grandparents, cousin Ann Piper and sister Emily in Burton End and he is working as an Errand boy. By the 1861 census, he his living in Burton End with his wife Susan and their two children Henry and Emily. He now works as an Agricultural Labourer.
On the 1871 census he is living in the same place with the same job, but he and Susan now have 6 children.
Ten years later, at the time of the 1881 census Daniel now works as a Horsekeeper on a Farm. He still lives with his wife in Burton End and with his two youngest children. They now have lodgers, his son-in-law and daughter George and Elizabeth Ship and their son. George works as a Farm Labourer, possibly for the same Farmer as Daniel.
Later that year, Daniel dies at the relatively young age of 45, whether this is through illness or due to an accident I am unsure.
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p9 of 37
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p25 of 37
(3) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.1043. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(4) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1881, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 296
(5) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1854, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 518