Mary Ann Poole 1856-1934
Parents: John Poole and Emily Freestone (2)
Born: 1856 in Haverhill Hamlet.(1)
Married: Henry Whiting, 21, batchelor, labourer of Haverhill, son of Daniel Whiting, labourer, on 29th August 1874 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Daniel Whiting and Sarah ?(3,4)
Children: John William Whiting b.1876, Alice Whiting b.1880, Joseph Whiting b.1884, Rose Lily Whiting b.1886, Harry Whiting b.1888, Arthur Whiting b.1892, Emily Whiting b.1894 died in infancy, Herbert Whiting b.1897 and Sidney Ernest Whiting b.1900
Died: 1st July 1934. Buried on 5th July 1934 at Haverhill Cemetery(5,6)
Bio: Mary is present on the 1861 census living in Haverhill Hamlet with her parents John and Emily, who were a silk weaver and winder. Living with her is older brother John and younger siblings William and Harriet. Her father John had married her mother, Emily Freestone, in 1854.(2)
I've not been able to locate Mary Ann's whereabouts on the 1871 census, but she married Henry Whiting in 1874, and they're living together on the 1881 census in Burton End next to Henry's parents. They have a son John William, 4, and a daughter Alice, 5 months old. Henry is working as an agricultural labourer.
By the 1891 census they have five children, John, Alice, Joseph, Rose and Harry. They are living at 21 Burton End, in between Boaz Whiting and Susan Whiting, who I believe is his widowed mother although her age is a few years out. Henry seems to be working as a horsekeeper.
On the 1901 census the family are at 29 Burton End, with eight children. Henry is an agricultural labourer.
For the 1911 census, Henry, known as 'Harry', is still there with Mary Ann and John William, Rose, Arthur, Herbert and Ernest.
Henry Whiting died in 1917 and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery. Mary Ann survived him by 17 years and died in 1934.(5,6)
(1) Birth Register. 2nd Quarter 1856, Risbridge Dstrict, Volume 4a Page 365
(2) Marriage Register. 1st Quarter 1854, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 429
(3) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1874, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 643
(4) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p28 of 37
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.4965. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(6) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1934, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 806