Annie Maria Cracknell 1867-1937
Parents: John Cracknell and Harriet Rawling
Born: 1867 in Ridgewell, Essex.(1)
Married: Joseph Whiting, 21, mat weaver of Queen Street, Haverhill, son of Charles Whiting, labourer, on 4th August 1890 at St John the Baptist Parish Church, Finchingfield. Witnessed by Fred and Martha Cracknell.(2,8)
Children: Charles Whiting b.1891and Hilda Agnes Irene Whiting b.1893
Died: 18th August 1937 in Haverhill. Buried on 21st August 1937 at Haverhill Cemetery.(3,6)
Bio: Annie Maria was born in 1867 in Ridgewell, Essex, a village south east of Haverhill. She was the daughter of John Cracknell, a labourer originally of Finchingfield and Harriet Rawling, of Steeple Bumpstead. John and Harriet married at St John the Evangelist church, Cornish Hall End, Finchingfield, on 13th January 1865 (9).
We see Annie living with her father and mother, who is a straw plaiter, in Ridgewell Norton on the 1871 census. She has an older brother, Frederick, 6, and younger sister Elizabeth, 1.
For the 1881 census, Annie's family are living at at Petches Cottage, Lombard Street, Finchingfield. They have swelled to 8 in number with the addition of siblings Selina, John and Mary.
Annie married Joseph Whiting in 1890 and the 1891 census shows them living at 6 Bumpstead Road. They have a young son, Charles.
The 1901 census sees Joseph and Annie living at 37 Duddery Road, Haverhill. They have a daughter, Hilda, living with them as well as son Charles and a boarder, Susanna Whittle(?), 21, who is a brush weaver.
On the 1911 census we the family house is still at 37 Duddery Road, but Annie is away at this time visiting her recently widowed (her father John had died earlier that year 7) mother Harriet Cracknell at 34 St Erkenwald Road, Barking. Harriet Cracknell was working as a domestic at the house of Herbert Seaman, 29, a carpenter, and his wife Mary Ann, 30, a dressmaker. Annie Maria, too, is listed as a dressmaker on this census. Also visiting is Annie's niece Irene Cracknell, 13, who was the daughter of her eldest brother Frederick.
Annie Maria died in August 1937(3,6) and was buried in Haverhill Cemetery, Joseph Whiting was to die 9 years later in 1946.(4,5)
The South West Suffolk Echo of 28th August 1937 had a funeral notice for Annie:
'The funeral of the late Mrs Annie Maria Whiting, wife of Mr J Whiting of 8 Hamlet Road, Haverhill, whose death, at the age of 70 years, had occurred the previous Wednesday, took place at Haverhill Cemetery on Saturday. The deceased lady. who leaves one son and one daughter, had had a long and painful illness which had been patiently borne. The Rev. W. Rose (Methodist Minister) conducted the last sad rites in a most sympathetic manner. The immediate mourners present were: - Mr J Whiting (husband), Mr and Mrs C Whiting (son and daughter-in-law), Mr and Mr J A Farnsworth (son-in-law and daughter) Mr I Whiting (grandson) Mrs Rodgers and Miss Cracknell (sisters) Mr Seaman (brother-in-law) Mr and Mrs F Whiting (brother and sister-in-law) Mr and Mrs T Ives (brother and sister-in-law) Mr C Ives (nephew) Miss Ives and Mrs Leech (nieces) Mrs Bacon (friend) Mrs Seaman (sister) was unable to attend owing to an unfortunate accident.'
(1) Birth Register. 2nd Quarter 1867, Halstead District, Volume 4a Page 344
(2) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1890, Braintree District, Volume 4a Page 811
(3) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1937, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 823
(4) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.5770. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(5) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1946, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 716
(6) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.5145. Compartment S, plot no.70. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(7) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1911, Romford District, Volume 4a Page 313
(8) Essex Record Office. D/P 14/1/15, Marriage register St John the Baptist, Finchingfield, 1876-1919
(9) Essex Record Office. D/P 610/1/2, p.60. Marriage register St John the Evangelist, Cornish Hall End, Finchingfield.