Sidney Ernest Whiting 1900-1965
Parents: Henry Whiting and Mary Ann Poole
Born: 3rd June 1900 at 29 Burton End, Haverhill.(1,2)
Baptised: 17th August 1902 at St Mary's Church, Haverhill.(1)
Married: Olive May Beavis, 24, spinster, shop assistant, of 36 High Street, Haverhill, daughter of Alfred Beavis, labourer, on 22nd August 1926 at St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Alfred Beavis and Beatrice Whiting.(3,4)
Died: 3rd January 1965. Buried at Haverhill Cemetery. (see picture) (5,6)
Bio: Sidney Ernest was the youngest child of Henry Whiting and Mary Ann Poole. He was born on 3rd June 1900 and baptised at St Mary's Church, Haverhill on 17th August 1902 aged 2. He appears on the 1901 census aged 10 months living at 29 Burton End, the house where he was born, with what was now a large family of 10 individuals. His father is an agricultural labourer, and his older siblings are mostly textile workers.
On the 1911 census he is known as Ernest and is still at 29 Burton End living with his parents and siblings.
Sidney Ernest married Olive May Beavis on 22nd August 1926.(3,4) He was working as a Steam ploughman at the time, an occupation shared by his elder brothers Harry and Herbert, who all worked at Baldocks of Haverhill as Harry's grandson Colin Farrant recalled.
Olive was a shop assistant at 36 High Street, Haverhill (this was the site of Copseys Fish and Chip shop in 1928(7)) and was the daughter of Alfred Beavis and Lily Murkin. She can be found on the 1911 census living at the Cock Inn, Hundon, with her parents.
I'm not sure if Sidney and Olive had children; a search through the birth indexes doesn't reveal any likely candidates.
Sidney died on 3rd January 1965 and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery.(5,6) Olive May lived for 15 more years and died on 12th January 1980(8)
They are buried at Haverhill Cemetery in plot V (see picture).(6)
(1) Birth Register. 3rd Quarter 1900, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 836
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p17 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1926, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 2280
(4) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p20 of 37
(5) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1965, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 1222
(6) Haverhill Cemetery. 1965. Compartment V, Grave space 343, Ref: 8137
(7) British Newspaper Archives, Chelmsford Chronicle, Friday 8th June 1928.
(8) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1980, Cambridge District, Volume 9 Page 0722