Mary Ann Pool 1822-1889
Parents: George Poole and Susan/Susannah Webb (1,7)
Born: 17th September 1822 in Haverhill. (1)
Baptised: 10th November 1822 at St Mary's Church, Haverhill. (1)
Married: Charles Whiting, batchelor, labourer, of Burton End, Haverhill, son of Joseph Whiting, labourer, on 30th April 1843 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.
Witnessed by William and Harriet Poole.(2,3)
Children: Joseph Whiting b.1844
Died: June 1889 at 18 Hamlet Road, Haverhill Hamlet. Buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 24th June 1889.(4,5)
Bio: Mary Ann Pool(or Poole) was born at Downs, Haverhill, on 17th September 1822 and baptised on 10th November at St Mary's Church.
It seems she was the daughter of George Poole and Susan Webb, who had married at St Mary's on 6th December 1810.(7) Her father George, a weaver, died a few years later aged 45 and was buried at St Mary's on 5th March 1826.(6)
Mary Ann's marriage entry confirms he was dead by the time she married Charles Whiting in 1843. I have not been able to find Mary Ann on the 1841 census, but on the 1851 census she is living with Charles in Burton End, and they have a son, Joseph.
There is no trace of the family on the 1861 census. It appears from family trees online that Charles' son Joseph emmigrated to Australia in 1869, but I have been unable to verify this.
In 1869 Charles was a beer retailer(9) and on the 1871 cenus Charles and his wife Mary Ann are living in Haverhill Hamlet and he is working as a beerseller. In White's Directory of 1874(7) and Kelly's Directories of 1875(8) and 1879 he is listed as a beer retailer in the Hamlet.(6) By the 1881 census he is a beerhouse keeper and is running the Hamlet Beerhouse, where he also lives.
In Kelly's Directory of 1888 Charles is still listed as a beer retailer in Hamlet Road.(10) Mary Ann died at the age of 66 at 18 Hamlet Road(6) and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 24th June 1889.
(1) Suffolk Baptism Index, Clare Deanery 1813-1900, SFHS. no.384
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p23 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1843, Risbridge District, Volume 12 Page 517
(4) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1889, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 294
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 1662. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(6) SFHS, Suffolk Burial Index, issue 2, 1538-1900
(7) Suffolk Marriage Index Clare and Fordham Deaneries 1754-1812, SFHS.