Sarah Ragg c.1792-1869
Born: c.1792 in Matlock, Derbyshire.
Married: David Whiting on 11th June 1815 at St Werburgh's Church, Derby.(1)
Children: Thomas Whiting b.1816, David Whiting b.1819, Lydia Whiting b.1822(died in infancy), Henry Whiting b.1825, George Whiting b.1827(died in infancy), George Whiting b.1830 and Eliza Whiting b.1837
Died: 12th March 1869 of old age debility, aged 77, in Haverhill. Buried on 17th March 1869 at Haverhill Cemetery.(3,4,5)
Bio: Sarah's place of birth is given on the 1851 census as Madlock (Matlock), Derbyshire. It is not certain who her parents were, but there are several candidates that could be her on the International Genealogical Index. These were taken from the Bishop's Transcripts for Matlock and are Sarag Wragg daughter of George and Margaret christened 10th January 1790, Sarah Wragg daughter of Joseph and Lydia christened 27th November 1791 and Sarah Wragg daughter of John and Sarah christened 30th December 1792.(7)
Ragg, Rag and Wragg all appear as variations of this surname. The GRO birth entry of Sarah's daughter Eliza in 1837 confirms her maiden name, which is actually entered here as 'Rag' (see Eliza's page for JPG of certificate). (2)
Sarah married David Whiting at St Werburgh's church in Derby on 11th June 1815.(1) He had been stationed in Derby with the Cambridgeshire Milita from March 28th (6), but it is possible he had met her previously as several other soldiers from the Cambridgeshire Militia were married at that church earlier in the year which implies the Militia had passed through before. We do know that he left Derby the day after the wedding, and the Militia travelled to Nottingham. We do not know if she accompanied them.
On the 1841 census Sarah's age is given as 45, on the 1851 it is 56 which puts her birth year as 1795. For the 1861 census her age is given as 70, and her Derbyshire origins are not acknowledged. This would be put her birth year around 1791.
When Sarah died on 12th March 1869 of old age and debility, her age was given as 77 which places her birth in 1792. Mary Mizon was present at her death.(5)
Thanks to Judy Stratford for a copy of Sarah's death certificate.
(1) The Phillimore Parish Registers, Derbyshire Parish Registers, Marriages - vol 10, Marriages at St Werburgh's, Derby, 1558-1837, p128
(2) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1837, Risbridge District, Volume 12 Page 289. ref: BXCE 913930
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p37 of 37
(4) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.118. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(5) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1869, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 275
(6) National Archives. Militia Great Britain (Supplementary and miscellaneous), Cambridge, 1798-1815, WO13/2479
(7) IGI, Film of Bishops transcripts for Matlock, Batch No.CO55571, Source Call No.0428924