Harriet Barber 1829-1896
Parents: Isaac and Ann Barber.(1)
Born: 12th February 1829 at Crowland, Haverhill.(1)
Baptised: 8th March 1829 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(1)
Married: William Whiting, Batchelor, labourer, of Burton End, Haverhill, son of Stephen Whiting, labourer, on 24th October 1847 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.
Witnessed by Edward Barber and Lydia Barber (2,3)
Children: Eliza Whiting b.1848
Died: 1896 at 1 Corporation Street, Islington. Buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 7th November 1896.(4,5)
Bio: Harriet appears on the 1841 census in Clements Field, Haverhill, with her father Isaac and his wife Frances, born in Dullingham, Cambs - maybe Harriet's stepmother? Harriet's baptism record lists her mothers name as Ann. Harriet has two brothers Edward and Isaac, and a sister Jane.
She marries William Whiting in 1847, and they go to live with William's father Steven in Helion's Bumpstead. William does well for himself, being a various points a farmer and a baker (see William Whiting for more information about their life together).
William died in Haverhill in 1894, and afterwards I presume that Harriet went to live with her daughter, now Eliza Butler, in London. She is listed as a widow, of the correct age, living in Islington at the time of her death which makes sense as Eliza's husband George had a railway job which took him to the capital. Harriet was, however, buried in Haverhill Cemetery on 7th November 1896.
(1) SFHS, Suffolk Baptism Index, Clare Deanery, 1813-1900.
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p23 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1847, Risbridge district, Volume 12 Page 809
(4) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1896, Islington District, Volume 1b Page 191
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 2299. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm