Grace Hilda Maud Whiting 1895-1980
Parents: William Whiting and Harriet Ewin.(2)
Born: 19th November 1895 at 14 Union Square, Haverhill.(1,2)
Baptised: 26th January 1896 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(2)
Married: John Phillips, 29, bachelor, mat maker, of 3 Clements Lane, Haverhill, son of Henry Phillips, Labourer, on 2nd May 1923 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Walter Henry Mead and William Whiting.(3,4)
Children: Kenneth J Phillips b.1923 and Living Relatives
Died: 1980 in the Newmarket District.(5)
Bio: Grace was born at 14 Union Square, Haverhill on 19th November 1895. Grace was the second child of William and Harriet Whiting, their first, Stanley Herbert, died aged 7 months after a fall from a pram in August 1893.
In 1923 Grace married John Phillips, a mat maker of 3 Clements Lane, Haverhill, who was the son of Henry Phillips, a bricklayers labourer, and Emily, both of Kedington. He can be seen on the 1911 census living with his parents at 3 Clements Lane. He is working as a brewers drayman.
At this time Grace was living at 31 Lord's Croft Lane, Haverhill, and working as a domestic servant.(4)
Grace and John went on to have a number of children, some of whom are still living.
Grace died in 1980(5), whilst John appears to have preceded her. There is a John Phillips of the correct age who died in 1969 in the same area.(6)
(1) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1895, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 700
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/38
(3) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1923, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 1749
(4) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/19
(5) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1980, Newmarket District, Volume 10 Page 2701
(6) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1969, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 2711