Susannah Pilcher/Pytches c.1828-1878
Parents: John and Anne Pylcher(1)
Baptised: 12th October 1828 at St Peter's Church, Little Thurlow.(1)
Married: John Whiting, batchelor of Pease Hill, Haverhill, son of Stephen Whiting, labourer, on 5th December 1848 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by John Scott and Susannah Whiting.(2,3)
Children: Susannah Maria Whiting b.1852, Horace Odessa Whiting b.1855, Amos Jonas Whiting b.1858, Catherine Miranda Whiting b.1861 and Lewis Albert Whiting b.1864
Died: July 1878. Buried on 17th July 1878 at Haverhill Cemetery.(4,5)
Bio: Susannah was the daughter of John and Anne Pylcher and was baptised in 1828 in Little Thurlow.
It must be noted that Suffolk Baptism index gives the surname as Pytches or Pitches and these are perhaps the more commonly seen variants. As was relatively common for this time the surname varied in its spelling.
I have been unable to trace Susannah on the 1841 census, or indeed further record of her parents. She married John Whiting in 1848 by which time her father was dead. On the 1851 Census she is living in Chauntry Croft, Haverhill, and they have yet to have any children. For the next two censuses, Susannah was to remain living with her husband and children in Chauntry Croft. She died at the age of 50 in July 1878 and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery.(4,5)
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Peter's Church, Little Thurlow. Fiche 639/4/p5
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p24 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1848, Risbridge district, Volume 12 Page 819.
(4) Death Register, 3rd Quarter 1878, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 297.
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 805. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm