Alice Whiting 1909-2000
Parents: Frederick Whiting and Clara Brazier (1)
Born: 25th July 1909 at 138 Marlbro Street, Brantford, Ontario, Canada (1)
Married: Maurice Robert Brazier, 26, bachelor, farm labourer, of Helions Bumpstead, son of Julia Brazier [note: register says 'son of Robert Brazier, deceased, farm labourer'], on 14th June 1933 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Frederick Whiting and William Brazier. (2,3)
Children: Living Relatives
Died: 9th October 2000, Cambridge. Cremated at Cambridge Crematorium on 17th October 2000 (4,6)
Bio: Alice's parents Frederick and Clara lived in Canada from 15th June 1907 to September 1909, at which point they they returned to England. Frederick worked as a labourer, and presumably he thought prospects were good for a young family in Canada at this time. Alice was born in Ontario just before her parents returned to England, and she can be seen living with them at 2 Crowland Yard, Haverhill, on the 1911 census. Her father Frederick was originally from Haverhill.
Alice grew up in Haverhill, and was married to Maurice Robert Brazier, 26, a farm labourer, on 14th June 1933 at St Mary's church. At this time, Alice was working as a domestic servant and living at 28 Recreation Road, Haverhill. Maurice was a farm labourer from Helions Bumpstead, and although he shared the Brazier surname with Alice's mother Clara, they were not closely related even though both families originated from Helions Bumpstead in Essex. Maurice was born on 25th May 1907(5) in Helions Bumpsead, the illegitimate son of Julia Brazier. She had a number of children who were brought up by other members of her family. It seems that Maurice (or 'Toddy' as he was later known) grew up with Julia's parents Robert Brazier and Mary Sorell looking after him whilst his mother worked in London as a domestic servant. This would explain the marriage entry which gives Robert Brazier as Maurice's father.
Maurice and Alice had two children.
The 1939 Register shows Alice and Maurice living at Jasmine Cottage, Steeple Bumpstead(7).
Maurice died in Cambridge in 1978(5), and Alice lived to her nineties dying in Cambridge on 9th October 2000(4).
Thanks to Roy Brazier for information about Maurice and his mother
(1) Archives of Ontario, Series MS929 reel 3. Ancestry.com
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill, Fiche FL578/4/21
(3) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1933, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 2226
(4) Death Register. October 2000, Cambridge, Register No. D54C, District 3311D, Entry 133.
(5) Death Register. December 1978, Newmarket District, Volume 10 Page 2722. Birth date given as 25th May 1907.
(6) Deceased Online, Cambridge City Council burial and cremation records, Register No. 117128
(7) 1939 Register, Ref: RG101/1576J/004/7 Letter Code: DDLB, Findmypast.co.uk