Sarah Whiting 1825-1899
Parents: Joseph Whiting and Sarah Farecloth (1)
Born: 18th November 1825 in Burton End, Haverhill.(1)
Baptised: 25th December 1825 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill (1)
Married: Thomas Buttle, batchelor of Burton End, Haverhill, labourer, son of Thomas Buttle, labourer, on 17th November 1844 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Samuel Bigmore and Susannah Whiting. (2,3)
Children: Mary Ann Buttle b.1845, William Buttle b.1852(4)
Died: September 1899 in Haverhill. Buried on 23rd September 1899 at Haverhill Cemetery. (6,7)
Bio: Sarah is present on the 1841 census living in Burton End, Haverhill, with her parents and siblings. Three years later she married Thomas Buttle, and they set up home in Burton End. They are here on the 1851 census, Thomas working as an agricultural labourer, Sarah as a domestic. They have one child, Mary Ann, who is a scholar.
By the 1861 census, Thomas and Sarah are still in Burton End, this time Sarah is working as a cotton weaver, her daughter as a silk weaver and their young son William is a scholar. For 1871 there is no change, apart from the addition of a lodger, Thomas Whiting, 18, who is listed as married (he had just married Emma Barber) and is a dealer of some sort. He is Sarah's great nephew. He was the illegitimate son of Harriet Whiting who was the illegitimate daughter of Sarah's sister Louisa.
Thomas Buttle died in 1879(8), leaving Sarah a widow living on her own in Burton End on the 1881 census. On the next census, in 1891, She is living at 29 Burton End and Thomas Whiting has returned as a lodger, this time a widower himself. He is general dealer.
Sarah died in 1899, and is buried in Haverhill Cemetery.
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p8 of 37
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p23 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1844, Risbridge district, Volume 12 Page 773
(4) Birth Register. 3rd Quarter 1852, Risbridge district, Volume 4a Page 322
(6) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1899, Risbridge district, Volume 4a Page 536
(7) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.2539. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(8) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1879, Risbridge district, Volume 4a Page 300