Mary Scott 1826-1904
Parents: John and Sarah Scott (1)
Born: 1st April 1826 in Haverhill (1)
Baptised: 23rd April 1826 at St Mary's Church, Haverhill (1)
Married: Henry Whiting, batchelor, labourer of Burton End, son of David Whiting, labourer, on 14th November 1847 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Benjamin and Ann Cowle.(2,3)
Children: George Scott Whiting b.1847, Ephraim Whiting b.1849, Caroline Whiting b.1851, Thomas Whiting b.1853, Alfred Whiting b.1855, Henry Whiting b.1857, Walter Whiting b.1858, Joseph Whiting b.1861, Sarah Ann Whiting b.1862, Eliza Whiting b.1866, Jesse Whiting b.1868 (died in infancy) and William Whiting b.1870
Died: May 1904 in Haverhill, buried on 4th May 1904 at Haverhill Cemetery.(4,5)
Bio: Mary is present on the 1841 census living in Burton End, Haverhill close to the Whiting families. Her parents, John and Sarah have five other children, John, Phoebe, Stephen, Susan and William. She married Henry Whiting in 1847 and went on to have 12 children with him. She featured in accounts of the Moses Whiting murder case as responding to screams at the scene of the crime as she lived opposite, and also went on to give evidence at the trial. She outlived her husband Henry by four years, and appears on the 1901 census living at 78 Primrose Hill, Haverhill, with her daughter Eliza, her husband George Barham and their son Albert.
Mary was to die in 1904 and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery.
(1) www.familysearch.org, Bishop's Transcripts for the Archdeaconry of Sudbury, 1826-28, Batch No.C132381
(2) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1847, Risbridge District, Volume 12 Page 810
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p23 of 37
(4) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1904, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 398
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.2950. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm