Alice Whiting 1880-1961
Parents: Henry Whiting and Mary Ann Poole
Born: 18th October 1880 in Burton End, Haverhill.(1,6)
Married: Walter Nunn, 24, batchelor, labourer, of 21 Mill Road, Haverhill, son of George Nunn, gardener, on 24th May 1908 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Joseph Whiting and James Nunn.(2,4)
Died: 1961 in Newmarket district.(3)
Bio: Alice appears on the 1881 census living in Burton End with her parents and older brother John. On the 1891 census the family are living at 21 Burton End. Alice is a scholar, now with a selection of brothers and sisters. At the time of the 1901 census she's still living at home, working in a clothing factory in a role that is hard to make out from the census taker's handwriting.
In 1908 Alice married Walter Nunn, originally of Shudy Camps. He was the son of George Nunn and Emily Matilda Linsdale and was born 23rd November 1884 and baptised at Shudy Camps church on 20th June 1886.(5)
At the time of their marriage, Alice and Walter were shown to be both living at 21 Mill Road, Haverhill. They later set up house at 36 Mill Road, which is where we see them on the 1911 census. They have no children at this point. Alice is a wholesale clothing tailoress at Gurteen's, and Walter a farm labourer.
The 1939 Register taken on 29th September 1939 shows Alice and Walter living at 93 Burton End. Walter is a steam ploughing heavy worker, and Alice is a clothing worker. They have no children, but living with them is Alice's younger sister Rose Lily Whiting, a spinster and retired clothing machinist.(6)
It appears from the GRO index that Alice died in 1961.(3) The age matches, as does the area - the Risbridge district was replaced by the Newmarket district in 1938 for GRO purposes.
(1) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1880, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 513
(2) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1908, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 1457
(3) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1961, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 923
(4) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill, 1892-1924, FL578/4/19
(5) CFHS, Shudy Camps Baptisms, 1558-1959, p.80
(6) 1939 Register. Ref: RG101/6661C/013/32 Letter Code: TYDO. www.findmypast.co.uk