Eliza Clark 1841-1874
Parents: John Clark and Jemima Mead(3)
Married: William Whiting, batchelor, silk weaver of Burton End, Haverhill, son of John Whiting, basket weaver, on 22nd July 1862 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by William Mead and Harriet Beavis. (1,2)
Died: May 1874. Buried on 9th May 1874 at Haverhill Cemetery.(6,7)
Bio: Eliza just makes it onto the 1841 census where we see her as a 1 month old child living with parents John and Jemima Clark in Crowland, Haverhill. Eliza has an old brother of two years of age, Jabez. The 1851 census finds the family still in Crowland, with the addition of another daughter, Emma, 3. Eliza's father John is an agricultural labourer, and we can see that he was born in Stoke, Suffolk. From the GRO marriage register it looks like Eliza's mother and father may have married in 1838, and that her mothers maiden name was Mead.(3) It seems that she died in 1856(4), and John remarried later that year to Letitia Nunn(5), widow of Richard Nunn who had died some five years previously. We see them on the 1861 census living in Burton End. John and 'Lettie', have Eliza living with them. She now works as a silk winder. Also at their dwelling is Emma and John Clark, and Daniel and Lydia Nunn from Letitia's previous marriage.
Eliza married William Whiting the next year and on then 1871 census we see them living together, childless, in Burton End, Haverhill. They have a lodger, Polly Poole, who was probably a relative of William's mother.
Eliza died three years later, and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 9th May 1874.(6,7)
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p26 of 37
(2) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1862, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 535.
(3) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1838, Risbridge district, Volume 12 Page 719.
(4) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1856, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 236.
(5) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1856, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 798
(6) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 476. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(7) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1874, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 270.