Daniel Whiting c.1752-1830
Parents: Daniel Whiting and Ann Spackman (nee Wilson) (1,2)
Baptised: 10th October 1752 at the Congregational Church, Haverhill.(1,2)
Married: Elizabeth Hilsdon, single woman, on 19th December 1775 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Samuel and William Bigmore. Banns on 22nd and 29th October and 5th November 1775.(3) Children: Elizabeth Whiting b.1776, Sarah Whiting b.1778, Lydia Whiting b.1780, Daniel Whiting b.1783, George Whiting b.1790 died aged 6 and David Whiting b. abt 1793 (5)
Died: 10th February 1830 in Burton End. Buried on 21st February 1830 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(4,7)
Bio: We know that Daniel married Elizabeth in 1775 at St Mary's Church, and the only Daniel I can find born around the right time in Haverhill to be this Daniel is Daniel son of Daniel and Ann who was given a non-conformist baptism at the Congregational Church in 1752.
Daniel and Elizabeth had several children. The first two, Elizabeth and Sarah are attributed to Daniel and Elizabeth 'Whiten'(5), which I believe is a just a corruption of 'Whiting'. Although their son George does not seem to feature among the baptism registers of St Mary's, his burial is noted on 31st January 1796 and his age is given as 6.(6)
Daniel's widow Elizabeth is present on the 1841 census living with her son David.
Daniel gets an epitaph in Barnabas Webb's lesser-known second diary kept at Essex Record Office, 'A Chronological Account of Deaths, Murders, &c.', which reads as follows "Daniel Whiting, after about a years confinement in his bed, died. Hard labour, poverty, and old age brought him to his grave. February 10th. 80" (7)
Daniel was buried on 21st February 1830 at St Mary's Church, and as his age is given as 80 this ties in with him being born around 1750.
(1) Haverhill Non-conformist Registers, LDS Film 825404.
(2) Barnabas Webb’s pocket-book, Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds. HA553/1
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche FL578/4
(4) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche FL578/4/p32 of 37
(5) Suffolk Baptism Index, 1754-1812, SFHS, Clare Deanery.
(6) Suffolk Burial Index issue 2, 1538-1900, SFHS
(7) Essex Record Office, Chelmsford, SEAX, Estate and Family Records, Deeds and Manorial Records of West and North West Essex, Miscellaneous, 'A Chronological Account of Deaths, Murders, &c., by B.Webb' [of Haverhill, Suffolk], Ref: D/DWv Z7, p.56