Charles Whiting 1867-1940
Parents: George Whiting and Susannah Turner (1)
Born: 18th May 1867 in Burton End, Haverhill.(1)
Baptised: 22nd September 1867 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill (1)
Married: Louisa Parish, 37, spinster of Burton End, Haverhill, daughter of Henry Parish, tradesman, on 23rd December 1895 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by H F Thake and Sophia Rawling.(3,4) Children: None.
Died: February 1940. Buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 15th February 1940. (5,6)
Bio: On the 1871 census Charles is living in Burton End with his parents and older brother David. He remained there on the next census, working as an agricultural labourer, and again on the 1891 census at the address which was The Royal Standard, where his father was publican. In 1895 he married Louisa Parish, a spinster who age of 37 given on the marriage entry was actually more like 39 - she had been baptised in Steeple Bumpstead on 24th February 1856, the daughter of Henry Parish, a brickmaker, born in Barrow, near Bury St Edmunds, and Anne Smith of Hedingham and was some 11 years older than Charles. They settled down at 11 Burton End where Charles appears on the 1901 census working as a bricklayers labourer. Louisa is a clothing machinist. The couple didn't have any children together, and they remained at this address on the 1911 census both working at the same jobs.
It appears Louisa died before Charles, in 1937, and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery. Charles died three years later and was also buried there.
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p13 of 37
(2) Birth Register. 2nd Quarter 1867, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 410
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p28 of 37
(4) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1895, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 1229
(5) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1940, Newmarket District, Volume 4a Page 2599
(6) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.5323. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm