Jane Whiting 1868-1921
Parents: Jesse Whiting and Ellen Smith
Married: William Hickford in 2nd Quarter 1892 in the Risbridge district.(2)
Died: June 1921 in the Risbridge district. Buried on 7th June 1921 at Haverhill Cemetery.(3,4)
Bio: Jane appears on the 1871 census in Burton End, Haverhill, with her parents and siblings. On the next census in 1881 she is still at home, but is now working as a nurse maid. Jane does not seem to be on the 1891 census, but the next year there is a record of the marriage of a Jane Whiting to a William Hickford in the Risbridge district. William was his preferred name, but he was actually born Thomas William Hickford, son of George Hickford and Susan Bowyer, in Kedington in 1867(6). The 1901 census shows Jane and William living together at 7 Spring Cottages, Haverhill. William Hickford is a horse-keeper on a farm, and Jane is a coat machinist at a factory.
William Hickford's wife Jane was born in Withersfield. Jane Whiting's birthplace is supposedly Haverhill on the 1871 and 1881 censuses. But we do know from censuses, however, that Withersfield was the birthplace of Joseph, the next child born to Jesse and Ellen. There was a Withersfield connection from around the time when Jane was born. Terry Farrant, who has been researching the Hickfords can confirm that the Jane wife of William Hickford was indeed the daughter of Jesse and Ellen.
We see William and Jane living at Hall Field, Sturmer, on the 1911 census. Their occupations remain the same and as is the case on the previous census, they have no children.
It seems that Jane died in 1921 in the Risbridge district,(3) and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery.(4)
William appears as a widower and retired general labourer living with Mahala Mason, also a widow, in Roost End, Sturmer on the 1939 register. Here he is known by his birth name and his d.o.b is given as 1st November 1867 (7).
William died in 1943 and was also buried in Haverhill Cemetery.(5)
Thanks to Terry Farrant for confirming the Hickford/Whiting connection
(1) Birth Register. 1st Quarter 1868, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 407
(2) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1892, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 981
(3) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1921, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 751
(4) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 4221. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 5558. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(6) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1867, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 371
(7) 1939 Register. Roost End, Sturmer. Ref: RG101/1576K/009/13 Letter Code: DDLC. Findmypast.co.uk