Walter Whiting 1858-1945
Parents: Henry Whiting and Mary Scott (1)
Born: 22nd December 1858 in Burton End, Haverhill. (1,2)
Baptised: 30th January 1859 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(1)
Married: Emily Jane Thake, 21, spinster, factory hand, of Crowland, Haverhill, daughter of Charles Thake, labourer on 14th August 1880 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Charles Thake, H F Thake.(3,4)
Children: Kate Ethel Whiting b.1882, Arthur Charles Whiting b.1885, Minnie Annie Whiting b.1889 and Albert Ernest Whiting b.1895
Died: 22nd December 1945 in Sible Hedingham. Buried on 27th December 1945 at Haverhill Cemetery.(5,6)
Bio: Walter is living in Burton End with his parents and seven siblings on the 1861 census. He is also there on the 1871 census.
In 1880 he married Emily Jane Thake, the daughter of Charles Thake orginally of Salfron Walden and Emma Haylock of Radwinter. Emily was born in Ashdon, Essex, in 1859.
After marrying Emily Thake, a factory hand, he sets up home with her in Down's Place, Haverhill. Here they are on the 1881 census, Walter is working as a plate layer for the Great Eastern Railway, and Emily is a drabbet weaver. They have no children. On the 1891 census they are living at 14 Eden Road, Haverhill. Walter and Emily's occupations remain the same, but this time they have three children; Kate, Arthur and Minnie.
By the 1901 census, they have relocated to 12 Wratting Road, Haverhill. Walter is a railway plate layer, Emily a brush hair weaver, and Kate and Arthur are hair weavers and wool winders respectively. Minnie is there, and they have a new edition - son Albert, 6. The 1911 census finds them still at 12 Wratting Road, Walter is still working as a platelayer for the G.E.R, Emily doesn't appear to be still working, Arthur is a haircloth finisher, and Minnie is working as a cashier at the Co-op society store.
Emily died on the 21st July 1921, at the age of 61 years and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery.(7)
Walter can be seen on the 1939 Register (taken on 29th September 1939) as a widowed, retired foreman platelayer living at 61 North Circular Road, Edmonton, Middlesex, with his spinster daughter Minnie Annie Whiting, a cashier book-keeper (8).
Walter lived to the grand old age of 87, and appears to have been living in Sible Hedingham at the time of his death.(6)
Picture of gravestone of Walter and Emily Whiting at Haverhill Cemetery.
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p12 of 37
(2) Birth Register. 1st Quarter 1859, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 408
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p28 of 37
(4) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1880, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 705/6
(5) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1945, Halstead District, Volume 4a Page 943
(6) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref. 5735. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(7) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1921, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 724
(8) 1939 Register. Ref: RG101/0737B/008/12 Letter Code: BDCQ. www.findmypast.co.uk