Arthur Clemson Whiting 1904-1977
Parents: Arthur Whiting and Emily Rowlingson.
Born: 9th May 1904 in Haverhill.(1,2)
Married: Elsie Maud Bigmore, 28, spinster, shop assistant, of 44 South Street, Braintree, daughter of Harry Bigmore, silk weaver, on 25th May 1931 at St Michael the Archangel, Braintree. Witnessed by Harry Bigmore and William James Ramsey (4,5).
Children: Dennis A Whiting b.1935
Died: 1977 in the Chatham district(2).
Bio: Arthur was born in Haverhill on 9th May 1904 and can be seen on the 1911 census living with his parents and younger sister Freda at 1 Chainey Pieces, Haverhill. His father Arthur was working as a clerk at Gurteen's.
Arthur can be seen on the 1929 London Electoral Register living at 32 Eland Road, Wandsworth with two others, William Bruce and Miss Lizzie Riley(3).
Arthur's younger brother Richard recalled that Arthur worked as a tailor, and like himself was a keen tennis player. He remembered that as a young man Arthur lived in Ipswich for a while before initially returning to Haverhill.
On 25th May 1931 he married Elsie Maud Bigmore at St Michael the Archangel, Braintree(4,5). At the time, Arthur was working as a tailor's cutter and living at 85 Hythe Street, Dartford, Kent. His father Arthur is shown on the church marriage entry as an outfitter's manager.
Elsie was a shop assistant and was living at 44 South Street, Braintree. She was the daughter of Harry Bigmore, once innkeeper at the Australia Arms then the Old White Hart in Haverhill and also a silk weaver, and Martha Balls and was born in Haverhill on 24th October 1902(6,7).
After their marriage Arthur and Elsie went to live in the Medway area, and had a son Dennis A Whiting who was born there in 1935.
The family were living at 205 Longhill Avenue, Chatham, when the 1939 Register was taken on 29th September that year(8).
Arthur died in 1977 in the Chatham district(2), and Elsie lived to the grand old age of 95 and died in the Canterbury district in 1997(7).
(1) Birth Register. 2nd Quarter 1904, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 905
(2) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1977, Chatham District, Volume 16 Page 0459
(3) London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965, Ancestry.co.uk
(4) Marriage, Register. 2nd Quarter 1931, Braintree District, Volume 4a Page 2084
(5) SEAX, Essex Record Office, Marriages 1927-1934, St Michael the Archangel, Braintree, Ref: D/P 264/1/41 image 78
(6) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1902, Risbridge, Volume 4a Page 873
(7) Death Register. Dec 1997, aged 95, Canterbury, Register No. B18S, District and Sub District 5601B, Entry No.71
(8) 1939 Register. Ref: RG101/1688C/016/32. Findmypast.co.uk