Violet Gladys Whiting 1903-1990
Parents: Benjamin Whiting and Caroline Elizabeth Palmer (1)
Born: 29th May 1903 at 45 Burton End, Haverhill.(1,2)
Baptised: 25th August 1903 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(1)
Married: Percy Charles Jeffries in 1926 in Cosford district. (3)
Children: Albert Edward Jeffries, b.1928
Died: 18th January 1990 in Ipswich(5)
Bio: Violet was born on 29th May 1903 at 45 Burton End, Haverhill, and baptised at St Mary's church, Haverhill, on 25th August 1903. Her father Benjamin was working as a ropemaker, and the family moved to Hadleigh, Suffolk, not long after this - Violet was the last child born in Haverhill.
Violet can be seen on the 1911 census at 23 Benton Street, Hadleigh, aged 7 and living with her parents and siblings.
Violet married Percy Charles Jeffries in 1926 in the Cosford district. He was born in Ipswich on 29th January 1901, the son of Frederick Jeffries and Edith Hazelton (9,4). Violet and Percy can be seen living at 47 Medway Road, Ipswich, on the 1939 Register; Percy is a fitter on agricultural machinery, and Violet is a housewife (unpaid domestic work). (6)
Violet and Percy had one son, Albert, who was born Ipswich in 1928.
It seems that the couple remained in Ipswich. Percy Jeffries was still living at 47 Medway Road when he died on 14th December 1981(4,7).
Violet was also living at this address at the time of her death on 18th January 1990(5,8)
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Ref:578/4/17
(2) Birth Register. 3rd Quarter 1903, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 935
(3) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1926, Cosford District, Volume 4a Page 2050
(4) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1981, Ipswich District, Volume 10 Page 2639
(5) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1990, Ipswich District, Volume 10 Page 2900
(6) The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1939 Register; Reference: RG 101/6608E.
(7) National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1973-1995. 19 January 1982. www.ancestry.co.uk
(8) National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1973-1995. 19 August 1991. www.ancestry.co.uk
(9) Birth Register. 1st Quarter 1901. Ipswich District, Volume 4a Page 1045