Herbert Whiting 1897-1955
Gravestone of Herbert and Dorothy at Haverhill Cemetery.
Gravestone of son Herbert Henry Whiting at Haverhill Cemetery.
Parents: Henry Whiting and Mary Ann Poole
Born: 1897 in Haverhill.(1)
Married: Dorothy Annie Challis, 26, spinster, domestic servant, of 5 Snapes Yard, daughter of Frank Challis, Marine Store Dealer, on 13th April 1924 at St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Frank Challis and Alice Nunn.(2,3)
Children: Herbert Henry Whiting b.1924 died aged 15.
Died: 10th July 1955. Buried at Haverhill Cemetery. (see picture) (4,5)
Bio: Herbert was the son of Henry Whiting and Mary Ann Poole. He appears on the 1901 census aged 3 living at 29 Burton End with what is a large family of 10 individuals. His father is an agricultural labourer, and his older siblings are mostly textile workers.
On the 1911 census, Herbert is aged 13 and is still at 29 Burton End living with his parents and siblings.
Similarly to his brother Arthur, It is hard to establish whether Herbert played a part in the 1914-18 war.
In 1924, Herbert married Dorothy Annie Challis, originally of Castle Camps, who was the daughter of Frank Challis and Mahalla Mynott who had married at Shudy Camps church on 26th December 1881.(6)
Herbert's marriage entry reveals his occupation as 'Steam Plough Engine Driver', and his address as 55 Burton End. This was the same job as his elder brother Harry had, and he most likely worked alongside him and his younger brother Sidney Ernest at Baldocks of Haverhill.
The couple had one son, Herbert Henry, in 1924. Sadly, he was to die at the age of 15 at Addenbrooke's Hospital on 29th May 1940. He is buried at Haverhill Cemetery (see picture).
Herbert died on 10th July 1955 and was buried near his son at Haverhill Cemetery.(4,5) Dorothy died on 19th February 1970(7) and their grave can be found in section E of the cemetery (see map).
(1) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1897, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 760
(2) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1924, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 1927
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p19 of 37
(4) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1955, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 726
(5) Haverhill Cemetery. 1955. Compartment E, Grave space 217, Ref: 7564
(6) Camps Parish Registers, Shudy Camps Marriages 1560-1950, CFHS,
(7) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1970, Sudbury District, Volume 4b Page 3634