Emma Whiting 1863-1954
Parents: Jesse Whiting and Ellen Smith
Married: David Whiting, 22, batchelor, carpenter of Burton End, Haverhill, son of George Whiting, labourer, on 25th April 1886 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by William Farrant and Jesse Whiting.(2,3) Children: Sarah Whiting b.1887
Died: 1954 at Haverhill Cemetery.(6,7)
Bio: Emma lived with her parents and siblings in Burton End at the time of the 1871 census and the 1881 census. At the time of the latter, she was working as a jacket machinist. She met and married David Whiting in 1886 (not a close relative, i might add) and they were to have one child, Sarah, the next year.
On the next census we see them living at the Royal Standard pub in Burton End with David's father George who was the publican. They are both working, David as a carpenter and Emma a factory hand.
On the 1901 census, David and Emma are living at 31 Burton End, with George who is now a widower, and their daughter Sarah. Again, they are both still working. Things remained the same for the 1911 census, although by this time their daughter Sarah had left home.
David died in 1927(4), and Emma was to live to the grand old age of 90.(8) They were both buried at Haverhill Cemetery.(5,7)
(1) Birth Register. 3rd Quarter 1863, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 368
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p28 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1886, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 761
(4) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1927, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 371
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.4541. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(6) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1954, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 1114
(7) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.5152. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm