Catherine Nell Whiting 1903-1981
Parents: William Whiting and Harriet Ewin.(1,8)
Born: 19th February 1903 in Haverhill.(1,5,6,8)
Baptised: 16th April 1903 at St Mary's Parish church, Haverhill. (8)
Married: William Dennis Watson, 28, bachelor, groom, of The Kennels, Great Bradley, son of William Dennis Watson, groom, on 14th June 1933 at St Mary's church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Frederick Arthur Johnson and Cicely Georgiana Farrant.(2,3)
Children: Living Relative
Died: 1981 in Newmarket District.(6)
Bio: Catherine was born at 60 Mill Road, Haverhill on 19th February 1903. She was one of twins, the other being brother Frank Herbert Whiting. They were both baptised at St Mary's church, Haverhill on 16th April 1903 (8).
Grace appears on the 1911 census living at 60 Mill Road with her parents, elder sister Grace and twin brother Frank.
On 14th June 1933, aged 30, Catherine married William Dennis Watson, a groom of The Kennels, Great Bradley. He was born in Stradishall on 28th February 1905 the son of William Dennis Watson, a groom, and Clara Twitchett, who had married in 1903(4). At the time of her marriage, Catherine was working as a factory hand, presumably at Gurteen's, and living at 35 Recreation Road, Haverhill.
Just after they were married Catherine and William had a son who is still living. On the 1939 Register, they can be seen living at Lodge Farm Cottages, Freston, in the hundred of Sampford. William is a stud groom working on the farm(5). Today, the cottages exist as self catering holiday accomodation.
Catherine died in 1981 in the Newmarket district(6), and William died in 1988 in the Bury St Edmunds district.(7)
(1) Birth Register. 1st Quarter 1903, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 915
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/21
(3) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1933, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 2226
(4) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1903, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 1525
(5) 1939 Register, Ref: RG101/6651F/012/28 Letter Code: TXKE, Findmypast.co.uk
(6) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1981, Newmarket District, Volume 10 Page 2639
(7) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1988, Bury St Edmunds District, Volume 10 Page 2276
(8) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/17