Henry Whiting 1855-1917
Parents: Daniel Whiting and Susannah Kiddy (2)
Born: 28th June 1855 in Burton End, Haverhill.(1,2)
Baptised: 4th November 1855 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(2)
Married: Mary Ann Poole, 19, spinster of Haverhill, daughter of John Poole, silk weaver, on 29th August 1874 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by Daniel Whiting and Sarah ?(3,4)
Children: John William Whiting b.1876, Alice Whiting b.1881, Joseph Whiting b.1884, Rose Lily Whiting b.1886, Harry Whiting b.1888, Arthur Whiting b.1892, Emily Whiting b.1894 died in infancy, Herbert Whiting b.1897 and Sidney Ernest Whiting b.1900
Died: 8th April 1917. Buried on 14th April 1917 at Haverhill Cemetery(4,5)
Bio: Henry is present on the 1861 census living with his parents and sister Emily in Burton End. On the next census in 1871, Henry is living with his family in Burton End, again, working as a farm labourer. He married Mary Ann Poole in 1874, and they're living together on the 1881 census in Burton End next to Henry's parents. They have a son John William, 4, and a daughter Alice, 5 months old. Henry is working as an agricultural labourer.
By the 1891 census they have five children, John, Alice, Joseph, Rose and Harry. They are living at 21 Burton End, in between Boaz Whiting and Susan Whiting, who I believe is his widowed mother although her age is a few years out. Henry seems to be working as a horsekeeper. The couple had a child, Emily, who died aged 25 days and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery on 17th December 1894.(7) They were still at 21 Burton End at the time.
On the 1901 census the family are at 29 Burton End, with eight children. Henry is an agricultural labourer.
For the 1911 census, Henry, known as 'Harry', is still there with Mary Ann and John William, Rose, Arthur, Herbert and Ernest. His occupation is not listed.
Henry Whiting died in 1917 and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery. His occupation is given as 'threshing tackle dealer', which is a job that I had never seen associated with him before.
click on photo to enlarge, or click here for another photo of the grave courtesy of Patrick Ives.
(1) Birth Register. 3rd Quarter 1855, Risbridge district, Vol 4a Page 328
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p12 of 37
(3) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1874, Risbridge district, Vol 4a Page 643
(4) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p28 of 37
(5) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.3983. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(6) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1917, Risbridge district, Vol 4a Page 944
(7) SFHS, Suffolk Burial Index, issue 2, 1538-1900