Bertie Whiting 1899-1973
Parents: Frank Whiting and Florence Lewsey.(1,2)
Born: 3rd February 1899 at 10 Chauntry Row, Haverhill.(1,2)
Baptised: 7th March 1899 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill.(2)
Married (1): Violet Langley Scutts, 18, spinster, of 78 Maybank Avenue, Roxeth Hill, daughter of Frederick James Scutts (deceased) on 26th December 1925 at Christ Church, Roxteth Hill, Harrow, Middlesex. Witnessed by Reginald ? and A. A. Scutts. (6,7)
Children: Joan Langley Whiting, b. 30 Aug 1928
Married (2): Doris Rosina Catlin in 1936 in Brentford, Middlesex. (10)
Children: Still Living
Died: 19th September 1973 at 19 Hollywood Gardens, Hayes, Middlesex.(4)
Bio: Bertie was the first son of Frank and Florence Whiting, and was born at 10 Chauntry Row, Haverhill on 3rd February 1899. He appears as a young child on the 1901 census living at 31 Mill Road, Haverhill. His father Frank is working as a brush weaver, and he now has a younger brother, Albert Edward.
On the 1911 census the family are living back at 10 Chauntry Row, this time with another son Harry, 6. Bertie, 12, is at school. Frank is a hair weaver, and Florence is a char woman.
Bertie was 26 and working as a salesman in Harrow when he married Violet Langley Scutts, 18, on 26th December 1925 at Christ Church, Roxeth Hill, Harrow. They were living at 78 Maybank Avenue, Roxeth Hill.
Bertie and Violet had a daughter Joan Langley Whiting born on 30th August 1928. She was married twice and died on 31st October 2014 in Corby, Northamptonshire.
Bertie and Violet divorced before 1936, and in that year Bertie married Dorothy Rosina Catlin, who was some 10 years his junior. (10)
Violet married Eric Leslie Street in 1938(9).
Bertie is shown living with Dorothy at 19 Hollywood Gardens, Hayes, Middlesex, on the 1939 Register. He is working as a provision salesman.(5)
Probate records show Bertie died on 19th September 1973 at 19 Hollywood Gardens, Hayes, Middlesex.(8, 4) His birth date on the death index an exact match for that given on his baptism entry.
After Bertie's death, Dorothy married Leslie A Bartlett in 1981. She died on 1st March 1982 in Ascot, Berkshire (11).
(1) Birth Register. 1st Quarter 1899, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 815
(2) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p39 of 41
(3) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1914, Willesden District, Volume 3a Page 679
(4) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1974, Hammersmith District, Volume 5b Page 1408
(5) 1939 Register, The National Archives; Reference: RG 101/809C. Ancestry.
(6) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1925, Hendon District, Volume 3a Page 789
(7) London Metropolitan Archives, Marriage Register. Christ Church, Roxeth Hill, Harrow. Reference Number: DRO/182/A/02
(8) England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995. Ancestry.
(9) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1938, Hammersmith District, Volume 1a Page 892
(10) Marriage Register. 1st Quarter 1936, Brentford District, Volume 3a Page 352
(11) England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995. Ancestry.