Arthur Whiting 1892-1949
Parents: Henry Whiting and Mary Ann Poole
Born: 1892 at 21 Burton End, Haverhill.(1)
Married: Esther Marsh, 21, spinster, of Burton End, Haverhill, daughter of Charles Marsh, labourer, on 11th October 1919 at St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by William Marsh and Rose Whiting.(2,3)
Children: Esther Florence Whiting b.1921, Clifford Arthur Whiting b.1924, Living Relative and Kenneth Whiting b.1930
Died: 15th September 1949. Buried at Haverhill Cemetery. (see picture) (4,5)
Bio: Arthur was the fourth son of Henry Whiting and Mary Ann Poole. We know his family were living at 21 Burton End, Haverhill on the 1891 census, and also in 1894 when a daughter, Emily, died in infancy. Because of this it is reasonable to assume he was born at this address.
Arthur shows up on the 1901 census aged 9 living at 29 Burton End with what is now a large family of 10 individuals. His father is an agricultural labourer, and his older siblings are mostly textile workers.
On the 1911 census, Arthur is still at 29 Burton End living with his parents and siblings. He is a farm worker.
It is hard to establish whether Arthur played a part in the 1914-18 war. There are many Arthur Whitings on the medal rolls, and no real clues as to which if any were him. Considering he was a farm labourer in 1911 and would have been 22 when the war started, it is quite likely that he joined up.
When he married Esther Marsh on 11th October 1919, his address is given as 55 Burton End and he is referred to as being a labourer. Esther was the daughter of Charles Marsh and Priscilla Kiddy, and can be seen on the 1911 census living with her parents at 6 Pound Row, Haverhill.
Arthur and Esther had three children, all in the 1920's.
After Arthur died in 1949, Esther married again in 1952. Her second husband was Walter Jacobs.(6) When she died on 8th February 1972, she was buried with Arthur.(7)
(1) Birth Register. 1st Quarter 1892, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 706
(2) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1919, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 2287
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p19 of 37
(4) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1949, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 726
(5) Haverhill Cemetery. 1949. Compartment U, Grave space 472, Ref: 7207
(6) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1952, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 1976
(7) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1972, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 3470