David Whiting 1864-1927
Parents: George Whiting and Susannah Turner (1)
Born: 28th October 1864 in Burton End, Haverhill.(1)
Baptised: 19th February 1865 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill (1)
Married: Emma Whiting, 22, spinster of Eden Road, Haverhill, daughter of Jesse Whiting, shoemaker, on 25th April 1886 at St Mary's Parish Church, Haverhill. Witnessed by William Farrant and Jesse Whiting.(3,4)
Children: Sarah Whiting b.1886
Died: 25th May 1927 at 75 Burton End, Haverhill. Buried on 28th May 1927 at Haverhill Cemetery.(5,6,7)
Bio: David is living in Burton End on the 1871 census with his father, mother, brother Charles and his grandfather David. On the next census in 1881 he is living at the Royal Standard beerhouse in Burton End where his father is publican, and he is working as an agricultural labourer.
In 1886 David married Emma Whiting. Now, the thought of Whitings marrying Whitings might seem to be cause for concern, but don't be alarmed! You would have to go back four generations at least to find any connection between these strands of the Whiting family, although one almost undoubtedly existed.
The 1891 census sees David and Emma remaining at the Royal Standard. David is a carpenter, Emma a factory hand, and they have a daughter, Sarah, 4.
By the 1901 census, David's father George was a widower and is staying with them at 31 Burton End. David works as a carpenter and joiner and Emma still works at the factory. Daughter Sarah is an Army canvas bag maker.
Sarah had left by the next census, and in 1911 we see David, Emma and George, now 80, still living at 31 Burton End. David and Emma's professions remain the same.
David died on 25th May 1927 at 75 Burton End and was buried at Haverhill Cemetery. Emma survived him, and probate was granted after the administration of David's will on 16th May 1939. Effects left to Emma were £82 11s 10d.(7) Emma appears to have lived to 90, and I am pretty sure she died in 1954.(8)
(1) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p13 of 37
(2) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1864, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 371
(3) Suffolk Records Office, Bury St Edmunds, Parish Registers of St Mary's Church, Haverhill. Fiche 578/4/p28 of 37
(4) Marriage Register. 2nd Quarter 1886, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 761
(5) Death Register. 2nd Quarter 1927, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 371
(6) Haverhill Cemetery, Ref.4541. http://www.haverhill-uk.com/pages/burial-records-137.htm
(7) Ancestry.com. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1861-1941
(8) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1954, Newmarket District, Volume 4b Page 1114