Beatrice May Whiting 1909-1985
Beatrice and sister Elsie, early 1950s.
Beatrice Farrant (Whiting), June 1974.
Parents: Harry Whiting and Beatrice Nunn
Born: 11th April 1909 in Haverhill.(1,4)
Married: Clifford Thomas Farrant in the Risbridge District in 1934(2)
Children: Living Relatives
Died: 1985 in Cambridge.(4)
Bio: Beatrice May was born on 11th April 1909 and we see her on the 1911 census with her parents Harry and Beatice living at 146 Burton End. Harry is working as a traction engine driver and Beatrice is employed as a factory worker. Sadly, Beatrice's mother died the next year just after the birth of her second daughter, Elsie Maud. Harry married again in 1919 and his second wife was Emily (Emma) Cutter.
Beatrice grew up in Haverhill, and married Clifford Farrant there in 1934(2). They had two sons.
Clifford Thomas Farrant was born on 11th October 1906 in Haverhill (3,5), and was the son of Thomas Farrant, a coal-delivery carman, born in Great Wratting, and Louisa Bruty, born in Stoke, Suffolk. Thomas and Louisa had married in Haverhill in 1896(7). Clifford appears with his parents on the 1911 census living at 15 Croft Row, Haverhill (6).
The 1939 Register shows Beatrice and Clifford living at 16 Mill Hill, Haverhill. Clifford is working as a boot and shoe repairer and Beatrice is a trousers sewing machinist. Clifford's widowed mother Louisa ( a retired trousers machinist) is also living with them (8).
Clifford died in 1981(5) and Beatrice May died four years later (4). They are both buried at Haverhill Cemetery.
pictures of Beatrice and Elsie courtesy of Colin Farrant. Click to enlarge
(1) Birth Register. 2nd Quarter 1909, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 901
(2) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1934, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 2271
(3) Birth Register. 4th Quarter 1906, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 889
(4) Death Register. 4th Quarter 1985, Cambridge District, Volume 9 Page 739
(5) Death Register. 1st Quarter 1981, Cambridge District, Volume 9 Page 802
(6) 1911 Census, 15 Croft Row, Haverhill, Class: RG14; Piece: 10503; Schedule Number: 141. Ancestry.co.uk.
(7) Marriage Register. 3rd Quarter 1896, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 1199
(8) 1939 Register, Ref: RG101/6661E/002/6 Letter Code: TYDD, Findmypast.co.uk