William John Whiting 1903-1977
Parents: William Whiting and Hannah Claydon (1,2)
Born: 6th May 1903 in the Risbridge district (1,3, 5)
Married: Lily Oliver, 28, spinster, schoolteacher of 13 Diamond Terrace, Durham Road, Tudhoe Grange, Tudhoe, Durham, daughter of William Oliver, engine driver, deceased, on 2nd November 1929 at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Tudhoe Grange, Tudhoe, Durham. Witnessed by Stephen Hewitt and Gladys Whiting. (2)
Children: William Brian Whiting b. 19th Dec 1930(3), Living Relative
Died: 1977 in Northampton (5)
Bio: William John Whiting was born in 1903, the son of William Whiting and Hannah Claydon (1). Sadly, his father died when he was only six and he was brought up by his mother in Haverhill along with his younger sister Gladys. On the 1911 census they can be seen at 16 Union Square living with their grandmother Maria Claydon, who was a widow just like their mother.
William was 24 and working as a boot retailer's branch manager and living at 113 Craddock Street, Spennymoor, when he married Lily Oliver, a schoolteacher of Tudhoe on 2nd November 1929 at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Tudhoe Grange (2).
William and Lily had a son William Brian Whiting born on 19th December 1930 in Newcastle.
William gave his sister Gladys away at her wedding to William Hammond in 1933, and at the time he was said to be living in Sunderland.
At the time of the 1939 Register, William and Lily were living at 120 Park Avenue, Northampton, and William was working as an company inspector for a boot trade retailer. Lily was no longer working as a teacher, and they had two children by now.
William died aged 74 in 1977 in Northampton (5).
Lily Whiting died at Avenue Lodge Residential Nursing Home, 2 The Avenue, Spinney Hill, Northampton, on 11th November 1986 (4).
Marriage Certificate at top of page courtesy of the GRO. © Crown Copyright.
(1) Birth Register. 2nd Quarter 1903, Risbridge District, Volume 4a Page 923
(2) Marriage Register. 4th Quarter 1929, Durham District, Volume 10a Page 821
(3) 1939 Register. 120 Park Avenue, Northampton. The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1939 Register; Reference: RG 101/6098G. Ancestry.co.uk
(4) England and Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations) 1858-1995 for Lily Whiting, Ancestry.co.uk
(5) Death Register. 3rd Quarter 1977, Northampton District, Volume 7 Page 2312